(summarized from Healthy Holistic Living www.healthy-holistic-living.com)
- They ate real seasonal food that was local and nutrient-dense.
- They didn’t diet and play restrictive games with their bodies and metabolism. They ate food according to their bodies’ needs and cravings when food was available.
- They cooked food at home, using traditional preparation methods from scratch. Buying processed food was not an option, and eating out was a rare luxury.
- They didn’t eat *GMO’s, food additives, stabilizers, and thickeners. The food was not yet treated with additives, antibiotics, and hormones to help preserve shelf life and pad the pockets of food producers at the expense of the consumer’s health.
- They ate the whole animal that included mineral-rich bone broths and organ meats. These foods were valued for their medicinal properties and never went to waste.
- They didn’t go to the doctor when they felt sick or take prescription medications. Doctor visits were saved for accidental injuries and life-threatening illnesses. They waited out fevers, got lots of rest, and used food as medicine.
- They spent lots of time outside.
“If your nutrition is inadequate, the integrity of each cell, tissue, and organ in your body will suffer. Thus you may be MORE sensitive to certain foods.”
*GMO = genetically modified organism